New South Wales records just two cases of coronavirus overnight as states relax border restrictions

  • Both of the coronavirus cases recorded on Tuesday are in hotel quarantine 
  • Health authorities have urged residents to get tested for even mild symptoms
  • Comes as Queensland will open borders to residents in from five NSW shires 
  • South Australia will also open up borders to those in NSW from Wednesday 

New South Wales has recorded just two more cases of coronavirus with both in hotel quarantine. 

The new infections on Tuesday have brought the state’s total number to 4,017. 

Despite there being no new locally acquired cases, health authorities are urging residents to get tested for the mildest of symptoms.

The drop in infections comes after it was announced Queensland would open its border bubble to include five shires in NSW. 

Both of the COVID-19 cases recorded in NSW on Tuesday are in returned travellers in hotel quarantine (pictured workers wear face mask at Opera Bar in Sydney)

Both of the COVID-19 cases recorded in NSW on Tuesday are in returned travellers in hotel quarantine (pictured workers wear face mask at Opera Bar in Sydney)

NSW Health said testing numbers had declined in recent weeks to more than 7,000 each day. 

‘NSW Health is appealing to the community to come forward for testing right away if you have a runny nose or scratchy throat, cough, fever or other symptoms that could be COVID-19,’ health authorities said.

‘If people don’t come forward and get tested, we can’t keep the pandemic at bay.

‘We would like to see testing levels above 20,000 as achieved last week, particularly in South Western Sydney, and ahead of school holidays. For the sake of your friends and family, get a test.’ 

There are 77 patients being treated for COVID-19 with three in intensive care and one on ventilation. 

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced on Tuesday as of next weekend the state would be open to more NSW residents after recording zero new cases. 

Residents in 41 postcodes including Byron Shire, Ballina, Lismore, the Richmond Valley including Casino and Evans Head, and Glen Innes will be added to the Queensland-NSW border bubble from 1am on October 1.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk (pictured) announced on Tuesday as of next weekend the state would be open to more NSW residents after recording zero new cases

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk (pictured) announced on Tuesday as of next weekend the state would be open to more NSW residents after recording zero new cases

Ms Palaszczuk said those 152,000 NSW residents will be able to travel freely in Queensland and residents of her state will also be able to travel in far northern NSW. 

‘These areas have a lot in common with Queensland,’ she said on Tuesday morning. 

‘They usually do a lot of their business in Queensland so we believe that this is the right measure to take and we have also been in contact with the NSW authorities to advise them of this today as well.’ 

The announcement of border changes come as Queensland prepares to welcome ACT travellers back up north on Friday.

The border will open only to Canberrans who arrive by plane and anyone coming from NSW via the ACT will have to wait 14 days before being allowed to fly. 

Residents of Byron Shire, Ballina, Lismore, the Richmond Valley including Casino and Evans Head, and Glen Innes will be added to the Queensland-NSW border bubble from 1am on October 1

Residents of Byron Shire, Ballina, Lismore, the Richmond Valley including Casino and Evans Head, and Glen Innes will be added to the Queensland-NSW border bubble from 1am on October 1

It was also announced on Tuesday that South Australia would open its borders to residents in NSW from midnight on Wednesday as long there are no new coronavirus cases with community transmission. 

SA Premier Steven Marshall made the announcement following the state’s Transition Committee meeting on Tuesday – despite concerns an infectious taxi driver may have spread coronavirus across Sydney.  

‘This will be massive relief for people dislocated from family, friends and business opportunities. We know this has been a massive burden on the business community, families and individuals but we did this to keep people safe,’ he said.

NSW Health is urgently contacting anyone who took trips with a Silver Service taxi driver who tested positive on Saturday and worked in Sydney’s west and southwest.

Anyone who rode in his taxi between September 8 and 18 should monitor for symptoms, isolate for 14 days and get tested for coronavirus.  

Advertisement



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *