Sadiq Khan CANCELS New Year’s Eve celebrations in the capital as he reveals there will be ‘no fireworks’ and ‘nothing happening’ in central London on December 31

  • Mayor of London confirmed no fireworks display to take place in central London
  • Instead, television event will take place for people to enjoy from safety of home 
  • He added ‘we can’t afford’ for large numbers of people to congregate in capital 

Sadiq Khan has cancelled New Year’s Eve celebrations in London as he confirmed there will be ‘no fireworks’ and ‘nothing happening’ on December 31.    

The Mayor of London explained the display, which typically takes place near the London Eye, will not go ahead as ‘we can’t afford’ to have large numbers of people congregating amid the coronavirus pandemic. 

Mr Khan added the New Year will instead be welcomed by ‘something that people can enjoy in the comfort of their living rooms,’ but was unable to give details.

Speaking to LBC today, he said: ‘I can tell you there will not be fireworks on New Year’s Eve this year like in previous years, we simply can’t afford to have the numbers of people who congregate on New Year’s Eve congregating.

Sadiq Khan has cancelled New Year's Eve celebrations in London as he confirmed there will be 'no fireworks' and 'nothing happening' on December 31

Sadiq Khan has cancelled New Year’s Eve celebrations in London as he confirmed there will be ‘no fireworks’ and ‘nothing happening’ on December 31

The Mayor of London explained the display, which typically takes place near the London Eye, will not go ahead as 'we can't afford' to have large numbers of people congregating amid the coronavirus pandemic. Pictured: The 2020 celebration

The Mayor of London explained the display, which typically takes place near the London Eye, will not go ahead as ‘we can’t afford’ to have large numbers of people congregating amid the coronavirus pandemic. Pictured: The 2020 celebration

‘What we’re working on, we’re not in a position to explain what it is yet, but what we’re working on is something that people can enjoy from the comfort and safety of their living rooms on TV.

‘As soon as we’ve managed to bottom that out I’ll be letting Londoners know and people across the country.’

Asked how he would keep people out of London on the night, he replied: ‘Well there will be nothing happening in town, we’re trying to avoid a reason for people to come in.’ 

The Mayor added: ‘We can’t afford to lose that slot because New Year’s Eve is a really great opportunity for the rest of the world to see how wonderful our city is.

‘Particularly during a recession we need to continue investment in our city and people coming to London.’ 

Mr Khan added the New Year will instead be welcomed by 'something that people can enjoy in the comfort of their living rooms,' but was unable to give details

Mr Khan added the New Year will instead be welcomed by ‘something that people can enjoy in the comfort of their living rooms,’ but was unable to give details

New Year’s Eve typically sees around 100,000 people gather near the South Bank in London to watch a dazzling fireworks display across the River Thames.   

The display, which was watched by more than 11 million people across the UK on television in 2018, had a total budget of £2.3million that year.  

In July, Mr Khan said the Greater London Authority was ‘working through available options’ for the celebration, which last year had a budget of £3.4million. 

He said: ‘In line with following the Government guidelines, we are currently looking at what considerations need to be made with regards marking New Year in London and working through the available options.

‘We will be looking to make a decision later in the summer.’    

Advertisement



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *